Nigerian Army has revealed the reason for the arrest of a female soldier who was proposed to by a male corps member at the NYSC orientation camp in Yikpata, Kwara State.
While speaking to Punch Newspaper, Army Public Relations Director, Brigadier General Onyema Nwachukwu, stated that the lady broke military laws by displaying an amorous relationship with a paramilitary trainee, a corps member.
He added that the female soldier’s action could be likened to taking advantage of her trainee which is strictly against the code of conduct. Nwachukwu, while driving his point home stated that the military would have been accused of coercion had it been a male soldier proposed to a female corper on a parade ground.
He also stressed that the lady isn’t qualified for marriage yet as she hasn’t served for the stipulated period of three years.
In his words:
The female soldier in question violated the following rules of the NA:
1. Fraternization while on official duty at the NYSC camp. That is, indulging in an amorous relationship with a trainee.
2. A personnel must have served for three years before he/she can qualify for marriage.
3. She disobeyed the Armed Forces of Nigeria standing guidelines and directives for the use of Social Media.
4. Indulging in romance while in uniform.
5. Her conduct was prejudicial to good order and military discipline.
All the above, if proven are in violation of extant laws with attendant disciplinary and penal implications.
Nwachukwu however refused to hint at the kind of punishment that would be meted out on the female soldier due to her action.